Sunday 19 June 2016

Pokemon Sun and Moon Updated. Part one. (Looking at the region)

Hi-de-ho! Long time no post!

It has been a while since Sun and Moon were announced and shown, and I have wanted to express my feelings and thoughts. However due to work and time restraints I have not been able to.

However, I have a rare sunday off, and a full mug of tea. So get ready, sit tight, and read on!

So first things first. Hawaii Region and the map! I am loving the region designs and lay out. When the first trailer was shown, I thought " we are going to have Hawaii, how many islands are in Hawaii. That is eight islands... so that's one gym per island." While this is not the case. I think it is better for us, and an idea that each island seems to have an elemental focus too. The bottom left island looks like a rock/earth island, the starter island in the top left is water, top right has a volcano so fire, and the bottom right has a high ice capped mountain top so I am calling it the wind island. From E3 we know each island has it's own protector/guardian, and Tapu Koko is the guardian of Melemele island (the starting island in the top left.), and I will go into Tapu Koko at a later on.

Now, Melemele in Hawaii means a having Yellow in its colour. Yellow is a sort of primary colour along with Red, Blue, and Green. The first pokemon games are Red, Blue, Green, and yellow. So I'm guessing the other islands will have a similar thing with their names, one contain 'ula'ula (red), polū/uliuli (blue), ʻōmaʻomaʻo/maʻomaʻo  (and yes, that's green). There is a few other words for colours, but I think thoses are the most likely. The idea for each island for each colour goes deeper, and might possibly be deeper connected to everything.

On the E3 conference we got to see in game video of the first route, and this connects to much stuff to this colour idea. It does sounds weird, but there is quite a lot of rainbows, and spectrums of colour used. When a battle starters, you will see a few rings appear, which flash a rainbow on it, and then when you level up your stats are colour coded, in a spectrum of colours. Even when a pokemon is registered, the word "registered" is a rainbow of colour. Finally, for the one that really reels it in, is on the sign for Route One, it says "The first route on the spectrum", which I think makes the point  more than the others. Not sure if rainbows, and light spectrum are going to be part of the story, but since Sun is a light source, and we need the Sun to make rainbows, I think it is a possibility.

Now, I know a lot of people did not like Hoenn due to the huge area to surf in, and I do not think we will be surfing from island to island, or even once the game is finished. I think we will be doing a flying thing with a pokemon like in ASOR, and boats, mostly boats in early game. Any surfing will I think be done to a different area on the same island.

One thing I am concerned with, is how two islands seem to have not a lot on them (the left two), the other two islands seem to be teeming with towns, towers, and stuff! So much stuff. But all islands seem to be roughly the same size, I think they could have spread it about more, but I guess without playing the games, I can not say for sure. However, that is what it looks like. One thing that I do find strange is that many of the buildings are very close to each other, so many of the towns and cities are gonna be very hard to separate.

I could go into more of the more interesting bits and pieces of the map, like the big squares on the mountain side, with a line between them like a weird sort of life, or the pokemon graveyard, the appearance of a pagoda tower, or even the Massive world tree on the earth island.

Actually, I am going to talk about the World Tree, please no Grass Gym in a massive tree. We done that last generation. Although, I think because there is no visible town on that island, it may not be a gym.

Back to Tapu Koko, the Guardian of Melemele island. (Also, side note. I can not think of Melemele island without thinking of, or saying,  Melee Island.) Tapu means Sacred and Koko means Blood. Thinking of ancient legends. Stars, and Planets in the sky were given the names of Gods, and raised to a holy status, and which Planet or Star in the nights sky is red? Mars! It is always to do with blood too, and what is better to praise a god, other than to fight! Specially since these games are based on planets and celestial bodies too. The other three island guardians I suspect will be connected to the other visible planets in the night sky. Mercury, Venus, and Jupiter.

Again, all this is my feelings on the matter, next post will be going into the eleven seventh generation pokemon that we have seen so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment